The Journal is an online collection of articles and essays written and curated by Thomas W Coombs, published bi-annually.

Once you have read the issue, see the Curated Articles of Note section for some great words from elsewhere on the sartorial web.

Sign Up to the Mailing List Here and receive an exclusive article to your inbox with each issue along with an email only issue in the summer.

You can follow Thomas W Coombs on Instagram

Issue 13; It's An Oxford Game

by T W Coombs esq.

There is something classic about a button down collar even though not actually that classic. I find them neat and tidy and look great poking out of a jumper. Thankfully the new Lad is in mostly very tight polo shirts so we are safe, plus when they are out in a white Oxford shirt make sure you dress to your style, not everyone else's.

The style I have bought from Next are the slim fit with stretch, I find that having that stretch within a material is great, from jeans, chinos to shirts, it allows them to have a bit of give without losing shape too quickly.

I am one for washing a shirt straight away, I obviously try them on first but then before any wearing I
wash, dry and iron, then you then get a non starchy garment and no packing creases.  Plus some clothes have a weird packing smell to them, normally from some plastic bag they were shipped in.

They are a nice fit for my physique, I am a medium in these to take in my 40 inch chest, you want to look like they fit not fitted, if you are in your twenties then squeeze into a smaller size but only if your body allows otherwise keep to a size that fits nicely, please.  I'm 37 and at some point you need to stop thinking you can dress younger than you are. My next blog will on this topic.

I went with classic shirt colours, white and light blue, then a black one mostly just because I haven't actually got one or have had for some time and could have done with one a couple of weeks back, sure I'll style this one some way, in the future.

These are from a new line in the collection for the season and a good addition, I was in desperate need for some new shirts after the gym has changed my shape quite a bit and these have delivered.

TWC X

This is not an advert, I pay for these items and have no affiliation with Next or any agencies involved with Next