The Journal is an online collection of articles and essays written and curated by Thomas W Coombs, published bi-annually.

Once you have read the issue, see the Curated Articles of Note section for some great words from elsewhere on the sartorial web.

Sign Up to the Mailing List Here and receive an exclusive article to your inbox with each issue along with an email only issue in the summer.

You can follow Thomas W Coombs on Instagram

Issue 17; All in the Weave, The Knitted Blazer



By T W Coombs esq.

With spring here and summer creeping up on us, it is only fair to start looking at mixing up your look.  And one things I have wanted for sometime is finally in my wardrobe, the Knitted Blazer.

After seeing a nice blue tailored knitted blazer on Instagram but not willing to give over hundreds of pounds for it I went on a search.  Sadly I got nowhere until I spotted this grey heavy knit jacket when it came up on Thread as something I might like. Even though not blue I have quite a few blue jackets so this dark grey colour actually broke up my wardrobe colours nicely.

It is from label Pier One and is a cross between a cardigan and a blazer/jacket.  The heavy knit adds some great texture to the look, it can be used to dress down a shirt and shoes look with a pair of jean, but also to dress up a t-shirt look.  It is a piece that crosses two worlds but lives in none and it great. Because of the thickness it is great to add a layer in spring and I have worn it under another standard blazer and really works, but just over an outfit in a summer night when the chill comes in.

It looks a feels great but not great in cold wind due to the heavy knit style so really penetrates through, but a great addition to a wardrobe and really happy to have found it.

TWC x